I’ve been accused of being obsessed with Gen Z! And why not? This is a demographic that is punching above its weight when it comes to culture, lifestyle, and fashion. As marketers, we better pay attention.
Gen Z is beginning to flex its muscle. They’re not kids any longer — here in America, we just had our first member of Gen Z elected to Congress! They are ready to make an impact on the world.
This is by far the most-studied generation in history, and with good reason. They are about to become a massive group of consumers.
On the latest episode of The Marketing Companion podcast, I had help de-coding the brands that are best interacting with Gen Z. Sara Wilson has been studying how the best brands are engaging with this generation and if there could be a common formula for success.
Meeting Gen Z on their terms
In the latest podcast episode, we cover a LOT of ground, including these 12 ways brands are flexing to meet Gen Z on their terms:
- Media-first brands. Not just content for marketing, content becomes the brand.
- True community serves as the “crux of commerce”
- Relevance to cultural moments created in niche online communities
- An “unhinged” or “un-finished” aesthetic. Undone is the new authentic
- Consumer products are the new “fashion flex”
- Tight integration with influencer culture
- Nostalgia marketing, even beyond their life experiences. Faux-stalgia!
- Small and intimate is the new defining feature of the GenZ internet.
- Entertainment and education are the primary ways to connect to GenZ in their closed-off spaces.
- The influencer/creator is driving the marketing ROI, including creator-led brands.
- The product is the content, designed to be shared.
- Reactive social listening. Jumping on memes quickly, as they are happening
Sarah is the co-author of a research report that dissects specific Gen Z brand strategies. You can find The Brand Yearbook here.
This is a big, big show bursting with new ideas. Ready? All you have to do is click here:
Listen to AMAZING episode 268
Other ways to enjoy our podcast
Illustration courtesy Pexels.com
SocialHub For Free
A social network for influencers, brands and fans.